As a voluntary bar association, the Anchorage Bar Association strives to provide value to its membership. The Anchorage Bar Association continues to provide the social events you count on; but, we also fill other unmet needs of the legal community.
Some of the events and benefits that you will receive personally include:
- The Anchorage Bar Association provides a "Find a Lawyer" member directory that is available to the public and searchable by practice area. Only Anchorage Bar Association members can be listed in the directory. You will be able to list your practice areas for the directory when you join or renew your membership. If you are already a member and are not listed in the directory, please contact us and we will be sure that you are added.
- FREE enrollment in the LifeBalance Program giving you access to discounts at over 10,000 recreation, cultural, wellness and travel based businesses as well as a myriad of online wellness tools. The Anchorage Bar Association is providing a LifeBalance membership to you and your family for FREE to help you lead a healthy and active life.
- Convenient photocopy services in the law library and courthouses
- Annual St. Patrick’s day and other social events at no cost to members and their guest
- Our Young Lawyers Section sponsors the following public and attorney service activities which are funded exclusively by the Anchorage Bar Association:
- State-wide Mock Trial competition
- Race Judicata, a fundraiser for the Anchorage Youth Court
- Funding for receptions honoring Anchorage judges retiring from the bench.
- Funding for receptions to complement the swearing-in of new Anchorage judges
- Mentoring for new attorneys
- Career fairs for employers and law school graduates
- Community education seminars
- Your membership also helps the bar association support many professional events and to provide tangible support for lawyers in need. These services would not otherwise be available without the work of the Anchorage Bar Association:
- Ben Walters Special Recognition Award honoring persons providing valuable service to the legal profession
- Grant funding for law-related activities: Examples of past grant recipients include Anchorage Youth Court, Alaska Legal Services, and the Khabarovsk-Alaska Rule of Law Partnership (KAROL). We encourage our members to present their law-related education projects for sponsorship.
- Swearing-In receptions honoring new admittees to the Alaska Bar Association
- Support for law school graduates taking the bar exam
- Substance abuse treatment loans for attorneys seeking counseling/rehabilitation
- Funding for a hospitality suite at the Alaska Bar Association’s annual convention
- Advocacy and lobbying efforts to advocate for lawyers to the Alaska Bar Association on issues for legal reform.
- No-cost and low-cost continuing legal education programs
LifeBalance is a wellness program designed to help members find well-being by participating in healthy activities.
Members save at thousands of recreational, cultural, travel and wellness related businesses by utilizing the LifeBalance Vendor Network. Featuring local, regional, national and online businesses in over 70 different categories, the network offers a unique experience for each member! Popular categories include Health and Fitness Clubs, Performing Arts, Sporting Events, Travel, Tours, Dance, Massage, Yoga and more. Program members also have access to the LifeBalance Ticket Window, an online ticketing service providing direct access to discounted tickets to a wide variety of events including: Performing Arts, Ski and Snowboard Lift Tickets, Sporting Events, Movie Tickets and Regional Attractions.
Members also have access to a powerful suite of wellness tools, helpful articles and health calculators that help members assess, plan, track and fulfill wellness related goals.